Test your knowledge of the history of the Kentucky Derby by answering ten questions plus a very obscure bonus question. Correct answers are provided at the end of this post. No cheating by doing an Internet search.
1. Native Dancer lost only one race in his Hall of Fame career and that was the 1953 Kentucky Derby. What was the name of the winner?
b. Dark Star
d. Hill Gail
2. Two jockeys are tied with the record for most Kentucky Derby wins at five? Who are they?
a. Gary Stevens and Eddie Arcaro
b. Eddie Arcaro and Bill Hartack
c. Jimmy Winkfield and Bill Shoemaker
d. Isaac Murphy and Jimmy Winkfield
e. Isaac Murphy and Earl Sande
3. The record for most Kentucky Derby wins is held by what trainer?
a. Ben Jones
b. D. Wayne Lukas
c. Bob Baffert
d. Max Hirsch
e. James Fitzsimmons
4. The record for most Kentucky Derby wins by an owner is held by?
a. King Ranch
b. Claiborne Farm
c. Calumet Farm
d. Harry Payne Whitney
e. Greentree Stable (Helen Hay Whitney)
5. What colt holds the Kentucky Derby record for the fastest final time since the race has been run at 1 ¼ miles?
a. Northern Dancer
c. American Pharoah
6. Jockey Bill Shoemaker misjudged the finish line in the 1957 Kentucky Derby and momentarily pulled up his mount, which almost certainly cost him the win. Who was he riding and who won the race?
a. Gallant Man and Iron Liege
b. Bold Ruler and Round Table
c. Pensive and Determine
d. Silky Sullivan and Tim Tam
e. Native Dancer and Dark Star
7. The highest price ever paid at public auction for a yearling that would win the Kentucky Derby was $4 million. The colt was?
b. Sea Hero
d. Fusaichi Pegasus
e. Seattle Slew
8. Which winner of the Kentucky Derby and Triple Crown champion sired a winner of the Kentucky Derby and Triple Crown champion?
a. Sir Barton
b. Gallant Fox
d. War Admiral
e. Count Fleet
9. What was the name of the second of three fillies to win the Kentucky Derby?
d. Winning Colors
e. Genuine Risk
10. The only colt to be declared the winner of the Kentucky Derby on a disqualification of the colt who actually came in first was?
a. Dancer’s Image
c. Forward Pass
e. Black Gold
11. Matt Winn was the president of Churchill Downs who built the Kentucky Derby into a famous sporting event. What was his original occupation?
c. Saloon Owner
9-10 questions correct and correctly answered the bonus question= Derby Scholar Summa Cum Laude
9-10 questions correct and missed the bonus question = A
8 questions correct and correctly answered the bonus question = B+
8 questions correct and missed the bonus question = B
7 questions correct and correctly answered the bonus question = C+
7 questions correct and missed the bonus question = C
6 questions correct and correctly answered the bonus question = Ladies’ or Gentlemen’s C-
6 or fewer questions correct and missed the bonus question = Remedial study required
Correct answers: 1b, 2b, 3a, 4c, 5d, 6a, 7d, 8b, 9e, 10c, 11b
Copyright © 2016 Horse Racing Business