Test your knowledge of the history of the Preakness Stakes by answering ten questions plus an obscure bonus question. The answers are provided at the end of this post. No cheating by doing an Internet search.
1. What is the nickname for the Preakness?
a. Run for the Roses
b. Run for the Black-Eyed Susans
c. Run for the Carnations
d. Run at Old Hilltop
e. Run for the Woodlawn Vase
2. At what distance is the Preakness currently run?
a. 1 mile
b. 1 1/16 miles
c. 1 1/8 miles
d. 1 3/16 miles
e. 1 ¼ miles
3. Who was the only Triple Crown champion to win the Preakness before he won the Kentucky Derby?
a. Sir Barton
b. Gallant Fox
d. War Admiral
e. Count Fleet
4. The trainer with the record for most Preakness wins is Wyndham Walden with seven. Two trainers have the second most Preakness wins at six. Who are they?
a. Ben Jones and Max Hirsch
b. Max Hirsch and James Fitzsimmons
c. James Fitzsimmons and Elliott Burch
d. D. Wayne Lukas and Bob Baffert
e. Bob Baffert and Woody Stevens
5. What jockey holds the record for most wins in the Preakness?
a. Oliver Lewis
b. Jimmy Winkfield
c. Eddie Arcaro
d. Bill Hartack
e. Pat Day
6. The owner with the record for most Preakness wins is?
a. King Ranch
b. Claiborne Farm
c. Calumet Farm
d. Harry Payne Whitney
e. Greentree Stable (Helen Hay Whitney)
7. The Preakness was run at what distance at its inaugural in 1873?
a. 1 1/16 miles
b. 1 1/8 miles
c. 1 ¼ miles
d. 1 ½ miles
e. 1 ¾ miles
8. The largest winning margin in the Preakness was 11 ½ lengths by what horse?
b. Count Fleet
d. Funny Cide
e. Smarty Jones
9. What Preakness winner was the first 2-year-old ever to be voted Horse of the Year?
a. Native Dancer
b. Spectacular Bid
e. American Pharoah
10. Five fillies have won the Preakness. Which of the following is one of the five?
a. Silver Spoon
c. Genuine Risk
d. Winning Colors
e. Rachel Alexandra
Besides Baltimore, Maryland, the Preakness has also been held in which city?
a. Stanton, Delaware
b. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
c. New York City, New York
d. Timonium, Maryland
e. Richmond, Virginia
9-10 questions correct and correctly answered the bonus question= Preakness Scholar Summa Cum Laude
9-10 questions correct and missed the bonus question = A
8 questions correct and correctly answered the bonus question = B+
8 questions correct and missed the bonus question = B
7 questions correct and correctly answered the bonus question = C+
7 questions correct and missed the bonus question = C
6 questions correct and correctly answered the bonus question = Ladies’ or Gentlemen’s C-
6 or fewer questions correct and missed the bonus question = Remedial study required
Answers: 1b, 2d, 3b, 4d, 5c, 6c, 7d, 8e, 9d, 10e, bonus c
Copyright © 2016 Horse Racing Business