Test your knowledge of the history of the Belmont Stakes by answering ten questions plus an obscure bonus question. The answers are provided at the end of this post. No cheating by doing an Internet search.
1. The Belmont Stakes is the oldest of the Triple Crown races, first run in?
2. How many colts won the Belmont Stakes and thus became Triple Crown champions?
3. The record margin between the winner and the second place horse in the Belmont Stakes is 31 lengths. What colt set this record?
c. War Admiral
d. Man o’ War
e. Count Fleet
4. Geldings were prohibited from running in the Belmont Stakes from 1918-1957. Who was the first gelding to win the Belmont?
a. Crème Fraiche
c. Funny Cide
e. Mine That Bird
5. Three fillies won the Belmont Stakes. Who was the last filly to do so?
a. Silver Spoon
d. Rags to Riches
e. Rachel Alexandra
6. Who holds the record for running the fastest Belmont Stakes?
a. Man o’ War
d. War Admiral
7. What trainer won five consecutive Belmont Stakes?
a. James Rowe Sr.
b. Sam Hildreth
c. Woody Stephens
d. Jim Fitzsimmons
e. Elliott Burch
8. Who was the first female jockey to win a Triple Crown race in the Belmont Stakes?
a. Julie Krone
b. Donna Barton
c. Robyn Smith
d. Kathy Kusner
e. Rosie Napravnik
9. Two jockeys rode a record-setting six Belmont winners. Who were they?
a. Johnny Longden and Bill Hartack
b. Earle Sande and Bill Shoemaker
c. Charles Kurtsinger and Angel Cordero
d. Ron Turcotte and Jerry Bailey
e. James McLaughlin and Eddie Arcaro
10. A jockey rode three Belmont Stakes winners and did so at three different racetracks—the old Belmont, Aqueduct, and the present-day Belmont. Who was he?
a. Eric Guerin
b. Dave Erb
c. Angel Cordero
d. Braulio Baeza
e. Bill Shoemaker
The inaugural Belmont Stakes was held at Jerome Park in the Bronx. Jerome Park was named after Leonard Jerome, a wealthy New York City businessman. Who was Leonard Jerome’s famous grandson?
a. Franklin Roosevelt
b. Nelson Rockefeller
c. Winston Churchill
d. Dwight Eisenhower
e. Charles Lindbergh
9-10 questions correct and correctly answered the bonus question= Belmont Stakes Scholar Summa Cum Laude
9-10 questions correct and missed the bonus question = A
8 questions correct and correctly answered the bonus question = B+
8 questions correct and missed the bonus question = B
7 questions correct and correctly answered the bonus question = C+
7 questions correct and missed the bonus question = C
6 questions correct and correctly answered the bonus question = Ladies’ or Gentlemen’s C-
6 or fewer questions correct and missed the bonus question = Remedial study required
Answers: 1b, 2e, 3a, 4a, 5d, 6c, 7c, 8a, 9e, 10d, bonus c
Copyright © 2016 Horse Racing Business