Profile of William L. Shanklin
- Earned a doctorate in business from the University of Maryland and an MBA from the University of Kentucky. Member of Alpha Kappa Psi, Beta Gamma Sigma, and Phi Eta Sigma.
- Emeritus Professor. Faculty member at four universities and also taught in graduate programs for U. S. Army officers at Fort Knox and Fort Campbell, as well in executive development for the University of California at Berkeley and San Diego. Held positions as an associate dean and a department head. Chaired more than a dozen doctoral dissertations in marketing and entrepreneurship.
- Began career in industrial sales and marketing with the Georgia-Pacific Corporation and participated over the years in consulting and executive development with organizations ranging from Fortune 500 companies to start-up ventures.
- Served on the boards of public and private companies, as well as non-profits, and as chairman of the board of a small business development center/business incubator.
- Published hundreds of articles in journals and magazines and authored or co-authored eight books. Won awards for both writing and teaching. Articles have appeared in Harvard Business Review, European Business, California Management Review, The Blood-Horse, Thoroughbred Times, Hoof Beats, et al.
- Formerly a regular contributor to “The Wire” section of The Blood-Horse magazine and occasional contributor to Blood-Horse MarketWatch and Blood-Horse Daily.
- Addressed such business audiences as the MIT Enterprise Forum, the Klein Symposium at Pennsylvania State University on managing technology, and Inventor’s Connection; conventions of the Association of National Advertisers, Biomedical Marketing Association, the Oregonian newspaper, the governor of South Dakota, and the Business & Professional Advertising Association. Appeared on TV programs and as a guest on national and local radio shows.
- Spoke to many equine-related audiences, such as Darley Flying Start, Thoroughbred Racing Associations, National HBPA, Harness Tracks of America, and the American Saddlebred Horse Association.
- Served honorably in the United States Army and is a member of the American Legion and Sons of the American Revolution. Current president of the Western Reserve Society SAR.